The Trillium Party believes that education up to secondary education is a “right” to be enjoyed by all Ontarians.
- We also believe every student should be supplied with ALL the educational tools (books, notebooks, writing instruments, computers etc., to be used by various students, in/on school property, through-out the life of the supplied “tool”) required to participate and excel in graduating to grade twelve.
- We believe a much more generous scholarship program should be implemented. A program that involves a sliding scale of awards that directly reflects a students learning abilities, individual efforts, and in particular grades.
- The Ontario Educational system or its employees should NOT be considered “co-parents” of children in school. Being a parent is a most valuable privilege and yet a huge responsibility. This honor is to instill a moral code that reflects the parent’s values and ideals instilling in their child the foundation of what is morally, ethically and lawfully “right from wrong.” As always Respect, Courtesy and Responsibility are an ideal foundation to work from.
- Eliminate the policy of social promotion in Ontario’s schools.Students will be expected to meet certain standards, (grading system, including a “fail”) in order to be promoted to the next grade. This grading system assists in preparing the student for successful integration with a stronger work ethic extending to their interaction in society. Social promotion is for the parent to decide – not government.
- Initiate a more streamlined approach to acquiring a trade or a hands-on profession. With a new approach young people could be “up and running” as a fully contributing qualified tradespersonby their 21st birthday.
- The College of Trades will be repealed as it serves no purpose but partisan appointments.